Screening and Promotions Committees (Class 2019 and earlier)
E. Screening and Promotions Committees for Years One, Two, Three and Four
The Committees shall assess the academic progress of all medical students at the end of each block, quarter or academic year. The Committee may recommend:
- Promotion to the next course, quarter, year and/or graduation.
- Promotion to the next course or quarter subject to certain conditions, or on a probationary status.
- Repetition of one or more courses or quarters of work on a probationary status.
- Referral to the Academic Standards Committee when a student’s academic performance requires a comprehensive performance review for failure to make satisfactory academic progress and/or meets criteria for dismissal. (see Regulations of the Faculty of the School of Medicine, VI. DISQUALIFICATION, C. STUDENT DISMISSAL)
- The Committees shall recommend to the Council of the Faculty for approval and to the Dean of the School of Medicine for final action the students who have achieved the competencies and fulfilled the requirements for the MD degree and who should graduate.
The Committee shall include the following voting members: The relevant course or clerkship directors or their designees.
- This Committee shall also consist of the following ex officio non-voting members: the Associate Dean for Curriculum and the Associate Dean for Students; and the Advisory College mentors.
- The Chair of the Committee shall be the Associate Dean for Students.
Other mentions of the Screening and Promotions Committees for Years One, Two, Three, and Four can be found
V. GRADES AND CREDIT
- The E grade is assigned as an initial non-passing provisional grade. The grade of E may also be assigned when a student’s work is incomplete for good cause but is not of passing quality. The E grade may be converted to a passing grade when the requirements for the course are satisfactorily met as determined by the course instructor. It will be converted to an F grade if a student fails to complete satisfactorily the course requirements within a period of time to be determined by the course instructor, in consultation with the Screening and Promotions Committee.
- SCREENING COMMITTEE
The Screening Committee will assess the performances of all students at the end of each quarter and recommend one of the following actions to the Dean of the School of Medicine for final action and approval by the Council of the Faculty:
- Promotion to the next quarter.
- Promotion to the next quarter subject to certain conditions, or on a probationary status (see VI, A, 1).
- Formal repetition of one or more quarters of work on a probationary status (see VI, A, 1).
- Dismissal from the School of Medicine (see VI, C). All Screening Committee recommendations for dismissal will be reviewed by the Academic Standards Committee. (Am. 4/90)
- COMMITTEE ON ACADEMIC STANDARDS
- The Academic Standards Committee shall evaluate the performance and progress of students who have experienced significant difficulty in their academic performance.
- The committee shall review recommendations to dismiss students from the School of Medicine, which are made by the Screening and Promotions Committees.
- The committee makes recommendations to the Vice Dean for Education concerning the academic progress or dismissal of medical students.
- Membership and Voting Privileges
- The Council of the Faculty with input from the vice dean for education appoints seven members of the faculty and the chair. None of the members may sit on Screening and Promotions Committees. All members have full voting privileges.
- The Associate Dean for Curriculum and the Associate Dean for Students serve as ex officio, non-voting members who assist the voting members as needed. (Am 4/11)
Reference Link: Appendix IV