Latest University of California News
Stay current on the latest UC Systewmide Academic Senate news via the Senate Source newsletter.
UCSF Academic Senate Division Meeting
The Spring 2014 meeting of the UCSF Division of the Academic Senate will be held Monday, June 2, 2014, from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM, in Room C-701, Parnassus Campus. A formal notice of the Division Meeting (with links to agenda and attachments) is located here.
The meeting will be streamed live for those of you outside of Parnassus and unable to attend in person due to other commitments. Please check back here on the day of the event for a link to the simulcast.
In addition to a general “State of the Campus” update, we will also hear updates on ongoing matters from Chairs of respective Academic Senate Standing Committees and beyond, including:
- Faculty Association Report on Results of OE Survey
- Gift and Endowment Tax Proposed Changes
- Results of the Climate Survey
- Senate Bylaw 55
- Space Governance Policies & Procedures
Announcing the 4th Academic Senate Faculty Research Lecture in Translational Science
The Academic Senate is pleased to announce the selection of Deborah Greenspan, BDS, DSc, ScD, FDSRCS (Ed), DDS, Chair, Orofacial Sciences and Distinguished Professor, Oral Medicine, and John Greenspan, PhD, BSc, BDS, FRCPath, ScD, FDSRCS (Eng), FKC, Distinguished Professor Oral Pathology and Associate Dean, Global Oral Health, as the joint recipients of the fourth annual Faculty Research Lecture in Translational Science.
Together Drs. Greenspan have consistently made valuable contributions to oral science, infectious disease and cancer using cutting-edge approaches. They made seminal and pioneering discoveries early in the AIDS epidemic, and throughout the rest of their careers, have steadily built upon those important initial findings. Separately, the Greenspans have promoted and contributed key research to Sjögren’s syndrome, an autoimmune disease with prominent oral manifestations. Their lecture title is: “We Did It With A Little Help From Our Friends”.
The Academic Senate Faculty Research Lecture will be held in Cole Hall at the Parnassus Campus on Thursday, May 29, 2014, at 3:30 p.m. The event will also be live simulcast for viewing from your office or computer either the day of the event—or upwards of a year afterwards. Please check back here on the day of the event for a link to the simulcast.
UCSF Academic Senate’s 2014 Distinguished Faculty Awards
The Academic Senate is pleased to announce the 2014 recipients of both its Distinction in Mentoring and Distinction in Teaching Awards. A reception honoring these recipients will be held Wednesday, April 23, 2014 in the afternoon in the Lange Room of the UCSF Library (Parnassus).
Honorees for Distinction in Mentoring are:
Michael Steinman, MD, Associate Professor in Residence, Division of Geriatrics, Department of Medicine
Craig R. Cohen, MD, MPH, Professor In Residence, Obstetrics, Gynecology, & Reproductive Sciences.
Honorees for Distinction in Teaching are:
Erick Hung, MD, Assistant Professor, Clinical Psychiatry
Alan Gelb, MD, Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, Department of Emergency Medicine, SFGH.
Workspace Planning at UCSF
Please find below links to additional workspace planning articles, including a new article titled, “Surprising Office Politics at UCSF Mission Bay: Why does it cost too much to build offices for medical faculty in Mission Hall?” (Updated 11/25) by Chris Newfield
- Quantitative relationships between occupant satisfaction and satisfaction aspects of indoor environmental quality and building design by Monika Frontczak, Schiavon, Stefano, John Goins, Edward A. Arens, Hui Zhang, Pawel Wargocki (Center for the Built Environment, UC Berkeley).
- Workspace satisfaction: The privacy-communication trade-off in open-plan offices by Jungsoo Kim, Richard de Dear.
- Indoor climate, psychosocial work environment and symptoms in open-plan offices by J. Pejtersen, L. Allermann, T. S. Kristensen, O. M. Poulsen.
- Traditional versus Open Office Design: A Longitudinal Field Study by Aoife Brennan, Jasdeep S. Chugh and Theresa Kline.
- Individual differences in employee reactions to open-plan offices by Alena Maher, Courtney von Hippel.
- The effect of office concepts on worker health and performance: A systematic review of the literature by Einar De Croon, Judith Sluiter, Paul Kuijer and Monique Frings-Dresen.
UCSF faculty members are concerned about the plans for an activity-based workplace in new and remodeled space at Mission Bay and Parnassus. For more information and to add your name and/or comments, click here.
Faculty Workspace Task Force Recommendations presented at the May 13, 2013 Division Meeting.
Appendix D - portfolio of workspace articles.