UCSF Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Information and Updates
We are all navigating new ground as we address the disorder and stress created by the novel COVID-19 pandemic. Given the nature of UCSF’s in-person clinical instruction, educators are facing new and unexpected challenges. The Senate is committed to working with key members of UCSF’s Administration, especially Vice Chancellor for Student Academic Affairs and Graduate Dean Elizabeth Watkins and the Education Deans, to create working solutions and practices to ensure educational continuity. In order to mitigate confusion and unnecessary chaos, I ask that we be as calm, creative, and flexible as possible in fulfilling our responsibilities as faculty to students, who may be in various states of confusion and vulnerability. For general guidelines, I encourage you to visit UCSF’s COVID-19 microsite, which includes information on frequently asked questions, policies and guidance for travel, visitors, and events, and links to important resources.
A number of emails have also already been sent out by the respective Schools and programs that address many concerns faculty, students, and researchers have. The Senate has assembled the following memos:
Office of Research Town Hall Meetings:
If you still have questions after reading your email and/or one of the memos above, the Senate has been advised to direct faculty to contact their respective Education Associate Dean:
- Graduate Division: Elizabeth Silva, Associate Dean of Graduate Programs
- School of Dentistry: Sara Hughes, Associate Dean of Education and Student Affairs
- School of Medicine: Catherine Lucey, Executive Vice Dean & Vice Dean for Education
- School of Nursing: Maureen Shannon, Associate Dean for Academic Programs
- School of Pharmacy: Sharon Youmans, Vice Dean
- Department of Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation Science: Amber Fitzsimmons, Chair
- Office of Research: Lindsey A. Criswell, Vice Chancellor for Research
Please feel free to forward this email to colleagues and post-docs, as needed. The Senate will do our best to continue update the UCSF academic community on educational continuity via our website at senate.ucsf.edu and the Academic Senate’s Twitter account.
Sharmila Majumdar, PhD
Chair, UCSF Academic Senate, 2019-21
Margaret Hart Surbeck Distinguished Professor in Advanced Imaging and Vice Chair for Research in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging