Faculty Welfare Committee
How To Apply
- 1. Faculty Learning and Development: SOD, SOM, SON and SOP School Faculty Councils.
- 2. Faculty Enrichment/Needs: (varies by faculty) including educational training, PR consultant hiring, software purchases, supplementing travel grants. Sponsored by Faculty Welfare Committee.
- 3. Travel Grants: Educational Curriculum, Research and Professional Meeting. Sponsored by Committees on Educational Policy, Research and Faculty Welfare, respectively.
- Steps for all Chancellor's Fund applications
Amount: Up to $3,000 maximum per award
Total Amount in Fund: $70,000
Proposal Due Date: April 18, 2020. No exceptions will be made.
Applicants notified of decision by end of May/early June.
The Faculty Enrichment/Needs Fund continues to be intended for small grants to support activities, services, or items that would enhance work-life and/or well-being at work for a UCSF faculty member.
- UCSF faculty appointment must be at 50% or greater
- Awards are limited to $3000 maximum (Partial funding may be offered)
- For requests for furniture (e.g., sit-stand desks) and computers, applicants must attest that they are unable to get these through their department/unit – but no signature will be required from department Chair or representative. These also must be for the faculty member’s use, not for staff (research or otherwise) use;
- For requests for software, applicants must first check MyResearch to see if it is available for free (if it is, we will not fund);
- Requests that will benefit multiple faculty – e.g., to support a group of faculty who meet regularly around a theme like a writing group, a leadership group, etc., including to pay for speakers/consultants for that group will be considered. This can be in the form of a single request from one faculty member to support a group (max $3,000), or a bundled request from four or more faculty members for the same activity (with a limit of $12,000 total for the group);
- Requests for personal expenditures, for example personal entertainment or personal travel, will be excluded from funding;
- Faculty who received individual enrichment funding in FY 2018 and FY 2019 will not be funded again this year. Faculty can apply as part of a group but not as an individual for 2 academic years, after receiving an individual award. If you received an individual award FY 2017 you are eligible to apply this year.
- Funds can be used for any enrichment activity that has occurred, or will occur during the 2020-2021 academic year (July 2020 – June 2021)
Applicants must submit a PDF with their request including what the request is for, the amount requested, a brief paragraph explanation about how funding of the request will enhance a faculty member’s work-life and/or well-being at work. In consultation with the Faculty Welfare committee, the Academic Senate Office staff will evaluate the submitted proposals to determine whether they meet all of the guidelines of the fund. If proposals do not meet the necessary requirements, they will be returned to the applicant. Once all eligible applications have been determined, if the number/amount requested exceeds the amount of funding available, the Faculty Welfare Committee will hold a lottery to make all final selections.
All awardees of the funds will be required to provide a summary of their experience and notes on the usefulness of the conference, course, or activity they participated in using the funds.
Please click here for access to the online application.
- 1. Financial Plan – Budget Overview (2019-2020)
- 2. Comments from Previous FAR Fund Recipients: SOM | SOD, SON & SOP
- 3. Comments from Faculty Learning and Development Fund Recipients: SOD
- Funding, submission rules, eligibility criteria, and other requirements are subject to change for each Chancellor's Fund cycle.
- Be sure to review the website after every “Call for Applications” is launched to learn the updates and prepare your application accordingly.