SCHOOL OF MEDICINE FACULTY COUNCIL
Linda Ferrell, M.D., Chair
Meeting of September 11, 2001
PRESENT: L. Ferrell (Chair), R. Krieg, P. Patterson, W. Smith, S. Wall, B. Warren, L. Pitts, J. Etzell, R. Jacobs, N. Cohen
ABSENT: R. Filly, N. Adler, R. Binder, H. Debas, D. Irby
The meeting of the School of Medicine Faculty Council was called to order by
Acting Chair Ferrell on September 11, 2001 at 4:10 p.m. in Room S30. A quorum was present.
Announcement from the Chair
Chair Ferrell gave an overview of the work of the Council. She highlighted the following areas of activity as being the responsibility of the Council:
- The Council acts as an advisory body for the Dean of the School of Medicine and for the Office of the Vice-Dean for Graduate Medical Education.
- The Council acts as an Academic Standards referral body.
- The Council serves as the liaison between the School of Medicine and the Academic Senate.
- The Council approves curriculum changes, graduations and dismissals of students.
- The Council is reactive and proactive and members are encouraged to suggest agenda items.
Election of Faculty Council Chair and Vice-Chair
Chair Ferrell announced that the Council needs to elect a Chair and Vice-Chair for the academic year 2001-2002. Only Senate members of the Faculty Council may be nominated to these positions. Each nominee will issue a statement of intent and elections will be held by secret email ballot. The candidate with the greatest number of votes will be elected to the position of Faculty Council Chair; the candidate with the second greatest number of votes will be elected to the position of Faculty Council Vice-Chair.
Susan Wall nominated Linda Ferrell for election. Bob Warren seconded this nomination.
Larry Pitts nominated himself for election. Wade Smith seconded this nomination.
The election will be held prior to the next meeting and results announced at that meeting.
Report of Committee on Curriculum and Educational Policy
No report for CCEP was available at this time.
Dean’s Report – Neal Cohen, MD, Vice-Dean
Vice-Dean Cohen made the following announcements:
- First year medical students have now begun their first semester of study. These students will be the first to follow the new curriculum of the School of Medicine. Due to the overlap between the old and new curriculums, organizational and timetable difficulties may occur. These should be resolved as the new curriculum becomes more established.
- Due to the tragic events of today in New York and Washington, DC, many activities in the Ambulatory Care Unit were suspended and some classes were cancelled. UCSF will host a Day of Mourning, details of which will be announced by Chancellor Bishop. There will be heightened security at the UCSF campuses, although there is no known immediate security risk for faculty or staff of the University. The State of the School Address for the Regents of the University will be postponed from its scheduled occurrence on September 12.
Discussion of Draft APM Language for the Clinical Professor Series
The Council discussed new draft policies APM-210-6, 278, as published by the University Office of the President (http://www.ucop.edu/acadadv/in-rvw/rev-210-etc.html). These draft policies relate to names and promotion criteria for salaried and volunteer Clinical Professor Series faculty.
The Council noted the need to differentiate between salaried and volunteer clinical faculty and believes it to be imperative that Clinical Faculty be fully recognized for their valuable work. The Council expressed concern that no combination of words in a faculty title could adequately express the exact position of the faculty member or could satisfy the parallel needs for recognition and demarcation of position. The Council suggested that Clinical Faculty titles be denoted by a standard title, followed by a number indicating the track of the faculty member. This suggestion is not included in the draft proposals under review and the Council indicated that it would reformulate this suggestion in their next meeting and forward to the Office of the President should that be appropriate.
The Council acknowledged a need for further information regarding both the proposed changes to the names and promotion criteria of Clinical Faculty. The discussion will continue at the next meeting and Vice-Chancellor D. Bainton and the Chair of the Academic Senate Committee on Academic Personnel will be invited to attend this meeting to present background information to the Council.
The meeting adjourned at 5:38 p.m.
Prepared by Senate Staff: